Rainy season in Indonesia (that usually takes ~6 months) can influence your health condition and damage your belongings. If you are not used to such weather condition you should be prepared to it. What to do during rainy season? Here are my recommendations how to “survive” during rainy season.
What to do before rainy season or when the first rain comes
Place of stay
- Liking parts: check if there is any liking parts through the roof, wall. Repair/cover it immediately (can ask your owner for help)
- Gutter: check if the place gutter is clean because if the water during the rain won’t be able to go properly, it will start goes inside your place through walls, windows, and roof.
- Windows, doors: when you are leaving the place, check your windows and doors. Be sure they close properly. During a tropical rain storm the wind blows the rain sideways and water can come in these cracks.
- Bamboo roof: if you have such – cover properly the roof from inside.
Humidity and mushrooms
Because of big humid the mushrooms can damage your clothes, electrical devices, can affect your health condition.
- Sun: if will be any sun, take out all your stuff to get dry in sun as often as possible (mattress, blankets, pillows, other textile and etc.)
- Clothes: keep the shoes that you don’t wear in the plastic bags, but often ventilate them in the sun. As well ventilate your clothes often.
- Electric device: turn on them daily. During the trip, if you will leave anything at home, keep it in plastic boxes.
- Spaces: ventilate it daily; clean once per week the floor and others places where mushrooms can start to grove because of humid.
- Furniture: buy special liquid and cover with it your furniture. That prevents wooden furniture from mushrooms and insects that eat wood. Also as often as possible take the furniture outside for a sun.
- Cleaning equipment: keep it all the time clean, don’t leave in the bathroom.
- Humidity collector: use special humid collector that possible to buy in bigger supermarkets and often take out collected water from there. As well them are very good for dry season – like humidity level in Indonesia is very high.
- Fan: if you have it – use daily, to dry your sleeping place or other spaces.
- Body treatment: during rainy season usually there are more mosquitoes and those who can give you Dengue fever (every 5 years in Indonesia exist outbreak of Dengue fever, this year (2015) was the 5th year, so many people got it). So use more often the spry from mosquitoes or other products on your skin.
- Home implements: use implements at home to prevent the mosquitoes. For example mosquitoes net, electrical devices with lavender smell.
- Clothes: don’t leave too many clothes hanging in the room, like mosquitoes will hide there. As well somehow black color clothes attract them more.
- Food: drink more guava fruits. It helps your immunity system be stronger against Dengue fever.
- Vitamins: drink more vitamin C (you can buy it in the shops, pharmacy). If you have – vitamins that makes your immunity system stronger.
- Food: drink more warm drinks, if it’s possible with lemon. Eat more soups and warm dishes. Eat properly food and “normal” dose.
- Clothes: wear clothes that makes you stay warm, cover your neck with scarf. If in the place of staying the floor is from ceramic – wear socks or slippers. If you will get wet, try as soon as possible to change the clothes.
- During the night: make sure that you will sleep warm (wear warm clothes, cover yourself with warm blanket and etc.)
- Places: don’t stay in places where windy, drought is.
Usual day during rainy season :)
Be patient waiting for the dry season and take care of yourself, your place and stuff during rainy season :).
If you will be unlucky and will get sick, you can read where to get help – health institutions in Yogyakarta.
Have more tips what to do during rainy season? Please share :)